You can do anything in 2015, but you can’t do everything. What if you could get a head start on the upcoming year? On this episode of The Live Your List Show your hosts Jerrod and Ryan walk you through an interactive workshop-style podcast that helps you plan for 2015. We will help you generate ideas, prioritize your dreams, develop goals, and create action steps to make 2015 the best year ever.
Click to Listen
If you are unable to listen to the episode, click here.
The 6 Steps Needed To Plan Out The Upcoming Year
This process is like a funnel. We start with all of the ideas and things that have preoccupied our mind for the past year and then narrow it down to the major things that matter for 2015.
1. Perform a Brain Dump. Grab a pad and pen and write down every single thing that is on your mind. All of your daily responsibilities. All of your upcoming calendar items. All of the things that have been bringing you stress and responsibility. Spend 4-5 minutes on this activity. Make sure to get all things down so you can have a clean slate.
2. Create a mind-map. This is a brainstorming session. Start to write down all of the things you want/need to accomplish in the upcoming year. This is a complete “WOW” session. You are not trying to figure out how to accomplish these tasks, just what you would like to do. It includes all of the ideas you can think of and give yourself the freedom and permission to write down all of these ideas.
3. Fill out a Dream Line. Create a timeline that will help you prioritize your ideas. Put 2015 on one end of the timeline and then 2035 on the other end. You will now take the ideas from the mind map and funnel them through the process called “Do, Delegate, Defer.” If it is something you want to “Do” add it to the dreamline on the upcoming year. If it is something you want to “Defer” then add it to the timeline under the appropriate year. If you need to “Delegate” an idea, then place it under the delegate pile with details of who and how you delegated the item.
4. Turn our dreams into a BHAG. Take the top “Dos” from the Dreamline and turn them into BHAGs (Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal). Spend some time making sure that each dream is actually a goal you want to pursue.
5. Narrow your BHAG into SMART Goals. Turning your dreams into BHAGs funnels your dreams into goals, but turning your BHAGs into SMART Goals requires you to set action steps on your dreams. A SMART Goals is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Bound. Each BHAG may then turn into many smaller or refined SMART Goals.
6. Create action steps for your SMART Goals. It is tome to take action and create a plan for your dreams and goals. Work backwards from your SMART Goal and list the items you will need to take action on nutil you get to the actual action step you need to take to turn your crazy ideas to a reality.
Hustle Highlight – Jonathan Sprinkles
Jonathan “sprinkles” elements of wisdom and humor to create a learning environment that is light-hearted yet purpose-filled. In his talks, Jonathan provides the “wow” that audience members want and the substance that meeting planners value. You inspire us Jonathan!
Fired Up Quotes
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a show you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, email me. Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.